Classes at John A. Logan College
- We offer a free 12-week class at the Community Health Education Complex (CHEC) at John A. Logan College for cancer survivors and caregivers at any time point in their cancer journey (both in and out of treatment).
- No prior exercise experience is necessary.
- Two, 12-week classes are typically taught per year: Spring (begins in late January, ends in late April) & Fall (begins in early September, ends in late November).
- The 2-day per week class meets from 5-6:30 PM on Tuesdays and 5-6 PM on Thursdays.
- During the class sessions we discuss physical activity and nutrition and how it relates to cancer survivorship.
- Participants track their physical activity, as well as numerous aspects of their dietary practices.
- Each participant is assigned a staff member who develops and then supervises an individualized exercise program based on the participant’s initial fitness status (including physical assessment data pertaining to the performance of functional tasks), medical history, and personal goals.
- Each participant progresses at their own pace and the exercise program is designed to address needs specific to each individual.
- Throughout the class, the staff members make a concerted effort to insure that the participants learn proper exercise principles and techniques so that they are equipped to be independent exercisers upon course completion.
- Once the course is complete, participants graduate to the Survivors Forever component of the program where they can continue their free participation as long as they desire.
- All exercise sessions take place in the Aerobics and Weight Training Center (AWTC) in the CHEC. Participants also have access to the Logan pool during the open swim times.
- There are traditionally-aged college students who use the facility, but due to the reduced membership fee for those 60 and older, the clientele at the AWTC tends to be older.
- Exercise sessions typically includes a combination of aerobic, balance, resistance (strength), and flexibility exercise training; however, this combination varies based on the individual participant’s needs.
Call 618-453-3116 or email email@example.com to get registered for the next course.